Software Engineer (Java) – Team Postman (m|f|x)
At idealo, every day millions of users from all across Europe search and discover products and prices. The mission of our team is to actively provide relevant information to our customers to allow them to make the best possible purchase decisions. Our team is responsible for one of idealo's key features: The idealo price alert. This includes backend services that process millions of price changes each day to identify price drops and inform our customers. With our expertise and services, we also enable other idealo teams to communicate with our users. Naturally, we work closely with our CRM team as well as the Mobile Apps team.
Our development is done in rapid CI/CD cycles and we have just started to move our services from a private Kubernetes-based cloud to AWS. So, as you can see, we are embarking on new adventures and have the chance and challenge to shape our new environment! Being an experienced yet curious team of engineers we value teamwork, responsibility, and growth. If you want to help us shape our and idealo's future, we welcome you as a new family member. We use the DevOps approach and some of our team members have on-call duties.
The position of Software Engineer (m|f|x) is available as a full-time or part-time position.
About your new role
We work in an agile OKR-driven environment
- You accompany the entire development process from product ideation to working software
- You work closely with product management and our UX designer to create the best possible product
- You design and implement scalable and highly available microservices and web applications
- During our migration to GitHub and AWS, you will help us shape our new build pipelines and operational platform
- You will develop software in small and frequent iterations, if appropriate in pair or even mob programming sessions
- Writing tests (incl. PACT contracts) are part of our development process
- Contributions to our frontends are welcome but not a must
- Besides your daily work at Team Postman you will have the chance to participate in hack weeks, idealo open source projects, and other company initiatives
Skills & Requirements
- With several years of experience in software development, you have a solid understanding of web application development
- You are open to test-driven development and don't see it as just a buzzword
- Concepts like Software Craftsmanship, Clean Code, Continuous Deployment are important to you
- Your passion is software development and you like to share it with your team
- You are comfortable working with Java (Spring Boot), NoSQL, and SQL databases
- Any experience with AWS, Kubernetes/OpenShift/Rancher, automation tools like Terraform and/or messaging queues/event streaming (like Apache Kafka) is a plus
- You do not hesitate to support us actively in front-end tasks. Basic knowledge of current front-end technologies like React is a plus
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud APIs is also a plus
- You feel responsible for operating and monitoring your applications
- You have good communication skills in written and spoken English and preferably also in German
- You live an open feedback culture and have an agile mindset
Very Awesome extras:
- You are an active contributor to open-source projects
- You like to present your work at conferences and user groups
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network at conferences and meetups
- A diverse and engaged community of +350 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, almost 1,000 employees from 40 nations are supporting our make the best purchase decision. We focussing on agile and autonomous work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Our interview process is currently fully remote, however we are glad to be back at the office in hybrid mode soon. idealos will then be spending their time partly at the office in Berlin and partly remote. Feel free to reach out for further infos!