Software Engineer Backend Java/Kotlin (m|f|x)
We are Team BigFeed! We are responsible for providing millions of products and offer data to (mostly) marketing channels on idealo. And in addition, we offer idealo a reliable detection and billing of paid traffic and assignability to marketing channels. Our work is the base to enable marketing to bring customers to idealo.
To reach that goal, we use a modern event-driven architecture (Kafka) combined with REST Endpoints. Further we use different additional tools like Elasticsearch, message streams, NOSQL databases, and services programmed in the state of the art language Kotlin. All these technologies are running in Kubernetes and will be migrated to AWS. Our team is fully responsible for the whole lifecycle of our microservices and system landscape.
We are looking for you as a Software Engineer Backend Java/Kotlin (m|f|x) with a DevOps mindset to join our team on a full-time or part-time basis.
About your new role
- You will support the team in all activities and actively share your knowledge.
- Together with the team, you research, experiment, deploy and maintain all applications and systems needed to support the team’s goals.
- You will work in a self-motivated team that enjoys being involved in the complete software lifecycle on an autonomous environment.
- You will closely collaborate with our marketing teams and if needed with engineering teams across idealo.
- We emphasize a self-contained domain with a distributed architecture. Pair programming, code review & testing are as much a part of our team culture as openness, respect, and celebrating successes on our beautiful roof terrace.
Skills & Requirements
- You are engaged in writing clean, well-tested, and well-structured code with the team.
- You love to learn and experiment with new technologies.
- You are familiar with Java, Spring Boot, Kubernetes, Kafka and Jenkins.
- You have experience and interest in managing distributed applications using Infrastructure as Code (e.g.example: Terraform) in a hybrid cloud environment.
- You are communicative and like to share your knowledge with your team members.
- You work with agile methodologies and like to give and take open, constructive feedback.
Nice to have
- Experience in working with cloud infrastructure AWS.
- Experience with Elasticsearch.
- Knowledge of Messaging Systems, NoSQL and BigData.
- Knowledge of programming in Kotlin.
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of.
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals.
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams.
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network at conferences and meetups.
- Welcome to Berlin: our new headquarter with its outstanding modern architecture and light-flooded offices is located close to the former Berlin Wall in the center of what used to be the heart of Berlin's news and publishers economy.
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee.
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, almost 1,000 employees from 40 nations are supporting our make the best purchase decision. We focussing on agile and autonomous work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are checking almost every day with the authorities if and how we can relocate talent from EU and non-EU countries to work with idealo. Please bear in mind that we will take individual decisions in close consultation with the applicant and the authorities.