Data Engineer (m|f|x)
We are looking for a professional or senior level Data Engineer that is passionate about building modern, scalable, and well-engineered data infrastructure products to enable product teams at idealo to work autonomously with data.
You will be part of either the team responsible for developing, running, maintaining the idealo data lake end-to-end or the team which is building tooling and providing support that enables product teams to create high-quality data products.
The Data Platform department at idealo is building a cutting-edge, AWS-based data platform suitable for self-service analytics as well as for machine learning, data products, and our enterprise reporting. We believe that a data-driven approach is a key success factor for our business. Therefore, we aim to enable our technical and non-technical internal customers to base their everyday business decisions on hypotheses that are proved by data.
The position is available as a full-time or part-time position.
About your new role
- Build and support the core infrastructure or related tooling for idealo’s AWS-based Data Platform.
- Together with your team you´ll take ownership for decisions on technical implementations and architecture.
- Take end-to-end responsibility for products owned by the team.
- Support internal data producers to make them successful building and maintaining their data products.
- Support internal data consumers to ensure they able to drive their business with data available in the data lake.
Skills & Requirements
- Professional working experience as a Data Engineer or similar.
- Experience or strong desire to learn Spark programming in Python and/or Scala.
- Experience or strong desire to learn advanced SQL programming.
- Experience building large scale distributed data processing systems with AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Experience with CI/CD and infrastructure as code.
- Experience with best practices in software engineering, like pair programming, testing, clean code and agile software development frameworks.
- Ability to give and take open, constructive feedback.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
Your benefits at idealo
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of.
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals.
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams.
- You´ll have access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network on conferences and meetups.
- A diverse and engaged community of +300 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin.
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee.
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, almost 1,000 employees from 40 nations are supporting our make the best purchase decision. We focussing on agile and autonomous work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Our interview process is currently fully remote, however we are glad to be back at the office in hybrid mode soon. idealos will then be spending their time partly at the office in Berlin and partly remote. Feel free to reach out for further infos!