Backend Engineer - PHP (m|f|x) - Product Discovery
We cooperate with around 50,000 e-commerce stores in Europe, from small specialist stores to the major marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay, and thus have access to several hundred million items. One of our unique challenges is to structure this assortment in a customer-oriented way and to combine it in a single catalog. In this way, we want to offer our customers the best overview of the entire e-commerce market.
You don't just want to get ahead, you want to make a difference? You don't just want to talk, you want to do. You don't just want to think outside the box, but work on big projects? You are not just looking for a job, but for a team in which you can develop freely?
Then we are looking for you as Backend Engineer - PHP (m|f|x) in full-time or part-time, with high standards and passion for highly available and performant web applications.
At idealo you can expect
- You will work on challenging and technologically appealing web applications using a wide range of technologies and frameworks.
- Software development from architecture, testing, deployment to live operation. You will work in an agile team that develops software in short release cycles.
- Together with your team, you will be part of an agile product development process and continuously expand your knowledge with the latest technologies and frameworks.
- You demand and promote technical excellence while keeping an eye on the needs of the customers.
- You work closely with the product management and the idealo content team to create the best possible product.
Skills & Requirements
- You are a professional with many years of experience in the development of complex applications.
- You describe yourself as an undogmatic PHP expert and your skill set also includes other programming languages.
- Your work convinces through applied Clean Code principles and TDD.
- You have fun and are interested in working with our operating platform and middleware, e.g. Kafka, ElasticSearch, Kubernetes or AWS.
- You actively contribute to discussions in order to work out the best solutions to problems with your team.
- You actively pass on your knowledge to the team, e.g. in the form of pair programming and small workshops and work with a constant eye on sustainable software development and focus on short delivery and feedback intervals.
In addition, we would be happy if you:
- Speak fluent English and ideally speak German on a B2 level
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network at conferences and meetups
- A diverse and engaged community of +350 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, almost 1,000 employees from 40 nations are supporting our make the best purchase decision. We focussing on agile and autonomous work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Our interview process is currently fully remote, however we are glad to be back at the office in hybrid mode soon. idealos will then be spending their time partly at the office in Berlin and partly remote. Feel free to reach out for further infos!