Senior Software Engineer (Java) - B2C Offers (m|f|x)
The team: B2C Offers
Our team is responsible for the contents of the list of offers that is shown as a key-feature to our users in the apps and on our website. In our modern service landscape, using current Java, NOSQL databases and message streams, we aggregate big data for different use cases in near real-time. We use Kafka topics and APIs to deliver information concerning the pricing and sorting of offers as well as meta information and summaries to several other teams at idealo and our partners. Our work has a measurable effect on idealo’s business everyday!
The position is available as full-time or part-time.
About your new role
- You actively design, develop, deploy, operate and improve the software of the shopping experience at idealo.
- You embrace healthy, modern engineering practices through writing clean, well-tested, and thoughtfully refactored code with the team.
- You approach your work proactively and have a sense for solving problems, a smart and simple way.
- You enjoy driving continuous improvement.
- You will develop and deploy our product continuously (CI/CD).
- You will be working closely with our Product Owner and team members to deliver high-quality and fast APIs and streaming content.
- You work with agile methodologies like Kanban and Pair Programming.
- You will work in a self-motivated team that enjoys being involved in the complete software lifecycle.
- You will collaborate with engineers from other teams on overarching high-impact projects.
Skills & Requirements
- Solid experience with Event-Driven Architecture and Micro Services using Java 8+, the Spring ecosystem (Boot, Cloud, Data), and message streaming tech such as Apache Kafka.
- Nice to have: Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, containerization & virtualization, CI/CD, NoSQL database.
- You use unit tests and other forms of automated testing in your daily work.
- You like to challenge architectures and help us to bring scalability to a new level.
- You give and take open and constructive feedback.
- Our team is international and English is our main communication language.
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of.
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals.
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams.
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network on conferences and meetups.
- A diverse and engaged community of +300 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin.
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee.
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, over 900 employees from 40 nations are working on the future of online shopping. We focussing on agile and self-reliant work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are checking almost every day with the authorities if and how we can relocate talent from EU and non-EU countries to work with idealo. Please bear in mind that we will take individual decisions in close consultation with the applicant and the authorities.