Principal Data Engineer / Data Architect (m|f|x)
We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer/Data Architect to help lead our Data Platform department. A successful candidate would be highly passionate about exploring and promoting solutions and best practices. They would help us enable autonomous work with data through our data lake and distributed computing solutions in the cloud. They would foster an environment where great engineering standards are strived for from aspects such as performance, availability, security, and cost-effectiveness, etc. They would look to the future and help us design a data platform that will continue to provide value for years. This is a highly collaborative and technical role with an influence that spans multiple teams.
About your new role
- Collaborate with other leaders in the Data Platform department to develop and implement the company’s data strategy.
- Advise our engineers and leaders on architecture concepts and best practices in software and data engineering.
- Collaborate on the creation of standards and procedures that enable decentralized responsibility for data creation and consumption.
- Oversee and drive the improvement of our data lake’s data architecture.
- Identify, evaluate, and drive the adoption of innovative technologies within the Data Platform.
- Mentor and coach engineers in our machine learning, data warehouse, and data infrastructure teams.
- Organize our internal community of Data Engineers designed to improve the craft of Data Engineering company-wide.
Skills & Requirements
- Strong working experience as a Data Engineer or similar.
- Experience or strong desire to learn Spark programming in Python and/or Scala.
- Solid knowledge of methods, processes, and standards for the technologies that support the complete data value chain.
- Experience building large scale distributed data processing systems with AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Experience with SRE practices, CI/CD, and infrastructure as code.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network on conferences and meetups
- A diverse and engaged community of +300 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, over 900 employees from 40 nations are working on the future of online shopping. We focussing on agile and self-reliant work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are checking almost every day with the authorities if and how we can relocate talent from EU and non-EU countries to work with idealo. Please bear in mind that we will take individual decisions in close consultation with the applicant and the authorities.