Backend Developer – Offers Page (m|f|x)
With the idealo price comparison, several million customers find the best offer in e-commerce every month. The heart of the price comparison is the Offers Page which lists available offers by different shops for a specific product. We serve hundreds of millions of offers to customers under strict SEO and performance constraints. We serve more than 60 million requests daily with response time below 1 second for 99% of them.
The position is available as full-time or part-time.
About your new role
The Offers Page has strict SEO and performance constraints and it has a strong impact on customer experience and on revenue. Being a critical point in the user journey, the main focus for Offers Page team is to deliver new features and evaluating them through AB Tests while adhering to the SEO and performance constraints.
Equally important is the fact that we’ve decided to migrate from our own data centre to run completely on AWS and we would like you to join this journey from its onset and to play a significant role.
- Participate in defining then executing of our cloud migration strategy
- Implement new features with end- to -end responsibility
- Support in monitoring and maintaining the system
- Discuss and align with other teams for changes that have wider impact
- Participate in technical discussions and architecture decisions within the team
- Share feedback and participate in team activities such as retrospectives
- Understand the product and approach work with a customer-focused mindset
- Understand and challenge product decision by keeping both the customer and business performance in mind
- Work in an agile team with shared responsibility and high autonomy
Skills & Requirements
- Strong experience in Java, Kotlin or any other JVM languages
- Strong experience building applications using Spring Framework
- Product focused mindset
- Public cloud experience, preferably AWS
- Message Queue (MQ) experience, preferably Kafka
- You feel at home with unit testing and automated integration testing; TDD is a plus.
- CI/CD and DevOps experience is a plus (Jenkins, Ansible, Terraform will be used)
- You do not fear working with legacy systems . Experience with migration/modernisation projects is a plus.
- Architecture experience is a plus
At idealo you can expect
- Join one of Germany's best employers to work for and enjoy a family-friendly environment where you as an employee will be taken care of
- A people-first culture that promotes your development as a professional and person based on your strengths and personal goals
- We are a principle-based product & technology organization using OKRs for setting and measuring our goals. We work with agile methods giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to the individual teams
- Access to learning & development resources at idealo and the Axel Springer Group. Choose your preferred resources from the growing list of online courses on Udemy, extend your knowledge and professional network on conferences and meetups
- A diverse and engaged community of +300 highly skilled and experienced technologists from +40 nations at idealo and a growing network of technologists at the Axel Springer Group, all located in Europe's most modern office building in the heart of Berlin
- A competitive compensation package and various attractive benefits that are not only great for our employees but also promote a sustainable lifestyle incl. JobRad/Bike Leasing, free organic breakfast and lunch options in our canteen delivered from regional initiatives and vendors as well as delicious fair-trade coffee
idealo is a Berlin success story: in 2000 we started out with the mission of helping consumers make the best purchasing decisions. Right in the heart of Berlin, over 900 employees from 40 nations are working on the future of online shopping. We focussing on agile and self-reliant work, sustainability, and a healthy relationship between work and private life. These values are firmly anchored in our corporate culture and an integral part of our corporate philosophy.
As part of our team, you can look forward to freedom, an international and inspiring working environment. Your ideas are particularly important to us. Not only our product portfolio is diverse, but also the people who work on it. We want you just as you are! Origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or a severely handicapped degree do not play a role.
Information for applicants with severe disabilities: As an applicant with a severe disability, you can get advice from our Severely Disabled Representation (SBV) during the application process.
idealo continues hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
We do still hire great talent from around the world! Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we are checking almost every day with the authorities if and how we can relocate talent from EU and non-EU countries to work with idealo. Please bear in mind that we will take individual decisions in close consultation with the applicant and the authorities.